Thursday, September 4, 2014

Birthdays, school, and the same ol' same ol'

We are slowly finding our groove in the midst of strange schedules and back-to-school madness.  I've gradually introduced a simple schedule: Bible time at breakfast, reading, math, play, lunch, rest time.  Then we do CC grammar review and handwriting in the afternoon followed by more play before dinner.  That sounds like a lot, but it's really only about 15 minutes per lesson, and it involves lots of singing, manipulatives, and games.  We've had two weeks of our CC tutorial as well, and even though it often seems like things are going in one ear and out the other in class, I heard N singing upstairs during rest time, What are the four types of tissues?  Connective, epithelial, muscle, nerve!  It made me smile.  I think with all the unfamiliar vocabulary, it is mostly passing over JP's head at this point, but at least she is hearing and absorbing the songs and sounds right now.  The rest will come, and we have plenty of time.

We've also had a couple of weeks of ballet for N and gymnastics for JP, which they love.  JP definitely has a tough time listening and paying attention to her coaches a lot of the time (I feel their pain), but I mainly have her in it for the benefit of occupational therapy type exercises at a lesser cost than actual therapy.  She's getting all kinds of vestibular and proprioceptive goodness at a fraction of the cost.  Win!

Last night was our first night back with the youth group, and next week I add in my mom's group (which I hope I will have the time to continue for the semester).  It's amazing how full one's schedule can get even when we're only at the Kindergarten level with one extracurricular activity per child.  I'm mentally sapped and my personal time has basically disappeared since I'm engaged with the kids all morning and a good chunk of the afternoon, but all in all, things are going well, and I'm thankful for structure.  I am reminding myself that doing the work now (sparking a desire to learn and teaching them how to learn for themselves) means there will come a day when they are largely teaching themselves and I am only there to guide, answer questions, and check their work.  Of course, we are also feeling things out in regards to possible learning challenges with JP beyond the obvious fact that she is ELL.  Speaking of which, I just squirreled myself and started looking up how to make no-sew weighted lap pads for school.  Maybe I need one too...

To wrap things up, we celebrated JP's first birthday home on Tuesday.  We are doing a zoo birthday party tomorrow, but we kept things simple on Tuesday with a family celebration.  She got a new doll, and I made a doll size bunk bed for her.  She also got the Frozen version of the classic board game Trouble (you remember the pop o' matic bubble, right??), some books from her grandma, and the promise of a birthday party and more presents at Mamaw and Papaw's house in a couple of weeks.  We took her to an Indian restaurant for a special meal and spent the rest of the day playing with her new toys and games.  She told us that she blew out candles to celebrate her birthday at the orphanage, but she never got presents.  She was pretty excited to open these!  We'll probably let her pick out something at the zoo gift shop tomorrow as well, just to commemorate her very first birthday party.  

I definitely cried more over her birthday last year than I did this year (I didn't cry at all).  I think my brain is just too fried to feel emotions at this point.  I'm really thankful she's doing so well, and that we were able to start making some new, happy birthday memories, but I'm still a little too soul weary to fully appreciate the significance of it all right now.  That's mostly why I write all this down (in what is probably ridiculously boring detail to everyone else).  Someday, I'm going to come back and read this and cry the happy tears I should be crying now.  At least, I hope I do.  In the meantime, I'll just say, "Thanks, God!" and trust that He knows my heart. Happy birthday, JP!        


1 comment:

  1. Kavya's energy level and inability to be still sounds a lot like JP's! We will be trying Sunday School this fall, and I pity the volunteers who will have to try and keep up with her. ;) Baby steps ...
    Happy first birthday together -- the first of many!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Shop amazon through our blog to help support our daughter's ongoing medical care