Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Urgent Need

Friends: we need your help.

We've been doing counseling with JP for a couple of months. Over the past week or so, we've seen some of her trauma behaviors escalate significantly, with the most frightening being that she ran away from home on Monday. Thankfully, I realized she was gone minutes after she left the house, and I found her within 15 minutes...but she was already over a mile away from our house when I caught up with her. I don't think it's possible to describe the terror of the moment I knew she was gone and I could not see her in either direction on the road. 

We had an emergency meeting with our counselor, and in light of these escalating reactive responses, she has recommended a psychoacoustic therapy that sounds incredibly promising for reducing stress, anxiety, reactive behaviors, and even sensory behaviors. We believe this could have an incredible impact on JP's healing. The price tag was a bit of a blow, though: $2100 all together for the device (which our therapist gives us at wholesale) plus her time in creating a schedule and walking us through all the steps. I won't lie: That is staggering to us considering that our new not-so-affordable health insurance has caused JP's medical bills to nearly double. So this will be on top of the annual $8-10K we have to come up with just to keep her alive and healthy, and standard therapy costs, which are worth every penny, but incredibly expensive. While I normally wouldn't post something this personal for her here, I felt like I didn't have a choice but to ask for help in such a time sensitive circumstance.

We haven't fundraised since before we brought JP home, but as we all know, adoption doesn't end at the airport. If you feel led to be a part of JP's continued healing, or know someone who might have a heart for this, please share and check out the "Donate" button at the top right corner of our blog, which will go directly to JP's therapy via PayPal. I know not everyone is called to adopt a child into their home, but for those who want to be a part of the continuing work of adoption and healing for a child, this is a great opportunity to partner with us in that. We are exhausted, in every possible way, and I am thankful that we have a support group of brothers and sisters to help hold our arms up when we have nothing left.  We covet your prayers, for JP and for our family.  

Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop amazon through our blog to help support our daughter's ongoing medical care