Monday, February 10, 2014

To India, and back again, part 1- 1/25/14

So here we are, stranded in Newark. I should back up. 

We planned our trip, booked flights and hotels, tied up loose ends at the house, and had a strange sense of calm mixed in with excitement as we prepared to leave on Friday afternoon. We were finally on our way to bring JP home. N did great, and this mama's heart was thankful for that. We said our airport goodbyes. She went back home with my parents, and we went through security eagerly awaiting our first leg of the journey being behind us.  Well, I was probably more eager than my sweet husband, who loathes flying. All was well until about a half hour before we were supposed to board, when we realized something was amiss. Our plane out of Chicago was delayed because of weather, and the lav had frozen, so they were awaiting an entirely new plane altogether. 

Long story short (I feel like I'm going to have to say that a lot), our flight was delayed four hours, and yes, we missed our connecting flight to India. And every other connecting flight out of the US. After what seemed like forever at the customer service desk, we finally accepted the fact that the farthest we were getting was Newark last night. So we made it, with gusty winds and a questionable landing. But we made it. They gave us a voucher for a hotel, and somewhere around 11:30pm, we made a bolt from the airport to the hotel shuttle in single digit temperatures. No, we did not bring winter clothes. It's 80 degrees in India. Thankfully, though, international travel has taught me to carry everything I need on my back at all times, and my survivalist packing skills came in very handy. I dug as many layers as I could find out of my bag, and as we wound our way through the icy industrial yards of NJ, I silently thanked the Lord that we had all of our personal belongings. Our single checked bag only holds things we are hoping to have at the Delhi hotel, nothing terribly crucial. 

We'll hang out here until about lunch time when we have to check out. Then it's back to the airport to pray, pray, pray that our flight out to Mumbai is on time and good to go tonight. We should leave at 8:10, which will put us touching down in India about 12 hours before we are supposed to go pick JP up on Monday morning. Our flight to Delhi leaves Monday evening to be there for her medical appointment on Tuesday morning. Needless to say, we do NOT want this to get pushed back, as it will push everything else back and require us to change our tickets home to the following Monday. We are supposed to be home Monday the 3rd around noon, and although I normally enjoy travel, all I want right now is to get JP, get home, and have all of my children in one place with me. It has been a long time coming. 

Yes, I know I need to enjoy this. And while I can't say that I'm necessarily at that point, my faith and trust in the One who has orchestrated this great adventure from the beginning, from BEFORE the beginning, is without question. I have seen him break down wall after wall after wall, and I am confident of this: He will not stop now. As always, your prayers are felt and appreciated. Pray us on to India tonight, friends!  We are almost to our sweet girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop amazon through our blog to help support our daughter's ongoing medical care