Monday, February 10, 2014

To India, and back again, part 3- 2/1/14

We were not sure what to expect when JP woke up on Tuesday morning, but after some initial apprehension, she accepted a little breakfast and got up without a fuss. We had to get her ready to take to the clinic for her TB test that morning, and she was mostly cooperative. 

She waits very patiently both in the car and waiting rooms, and we have spent HOURS in both of those places this week. She took the TB skin test without even flinching.   We came back to the room after our appointment, and little by little made some baby steps forward. We got out the balloons, and discovered that they do, in fact, span all cultures. We got our first smiles through playing with them. What an encouragement. Even though we had the head knowledge that attachment takes a lot of time and effort, it's still hard not to feel like your child will hate you forever and destroy your family life as you know it. Perhaps that sounds melodramatic, but I promise you that the emotions and hormones flooding through an adoptive mama's system are very much the same as a mom who has just given birth. I have seen many similarities in my feelings through this week to the feelings I had in the weeks after N's rather traumatic entry into the world. Perhaps it is not uncommon for new mothers to have a sort of "buyer's remorse", no matter how their children enter their families, and no matter how long and hard they prayed for those children.  Or maybe that's just wishful thinking, and I'm a Lone Ranger in those struggles. Either way, it's the truth, and I won't sugar coat this journey and make it anything less than it is. Joy and suffering so often go hand in hand.  I won't minimize the suffering, because it would also nullify the joy. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing some blessings that aren't in disguise at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop amazon through our blog to help support our daughter's ongoing medical care