Monday, February 10, 2014

To India, and back again, part 6- 2/7/14

Our coordinator was able to get the negative sputum test reports on Sunday evening, and first thing Monday morning, we headed to the original clinic so the doctor could sign off on JP's medical packet. She got a little teary eyed while we were there. I tried to explain that she didn't have to do anymore tests, bless her heart. I'm glad FIVE negative tests were finally enough to prove to the CDC that she doesn't have TB. Poor baby. 

As soon as we got the medical packet, we rushed to the embassy. We had already done the interview and paid our fee when we were there on Thursday. There was hardly anyone there then. When we walked in Monday it was packed out. The gentleman at the desk knew our coordinator, so he took our paperwork right back. For about an hour or an hour and a half we waited, and wondered, and prayed...and prayed some more. We didn't know if they would issue the visa then or tell us to come back in the afternoon, or, worse, the next day. Finally, they called us up and handed us JP's passport, complete with visa, as well as our official Hague adoption certificate. Thank you, Lord!  

We had to check out of the hotel at 2:00, but our flight out wasn't until 11:35pm. Our coordinator surprised us by giving us a hotel room at his hotel (on his tab) so we could relax before our flight. Of course, there's not much relaxing going on with a hyper five year old in the room, but I was so thankful we didn't just have to walk around the mall for six hours. 

Our driver dropped us at the airport, and we were on our way. I swear we had to go through half a dozen security checks, and everyone was very curious about JP being with us. We got interrogated by airport staff about every five minutes. Thankfully, there was no trouble, and we got on our flight without any problems. JP slept the first seven hours...and climbed the walls for the next eight and a half. Kudos to those of you who take long flights with young children. I hope I never have to do it again, because not only was I unable to sleep, but I was constantly having to keep her from breaking things or disturbing others around us. By the time we touched down in Newark, I was pretty frazzled, but oh, so happy to be back in the good old US of A. We went through immigration without a problem, got the official stamp declaring JP a US citizen, and got our bag to go through and recheck it on home. That's when we found out that our flight home had been canceled, along with hundreds of other flights, thanks to the snow storm that came through yesterday. All of Newark was about to hear this mama ugly cry. 

Initially, they said they couldn't get us home until tomorrow, but after hearing our story, the rep was able to finagle some things around and get JP and I on the next flight out. Husband was on standby, but he didn't make the first flight. Thankfully, he got the last seat on the next flight and was home within about three hours of us. It made me sad not to walk into the airport together for our little welcoming committee, but at that point, we were just so glad to be home, we didn't think too much about it. One battle down. Another beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop amazon through our blog to help support our daughter's ongoing medical care