I believe the last
time I blogged, we had just gotten our temporary CO on the house. Oh my
goodness, it has been a whirlwind since then. I wish I had time to go
into all the details, but sitting here, stranded in Newark (yes, you
read that right... I'm getting to that part), I'm going to have to hit
the high points.
We
started moving in the night before Christmas Eve. It was a strange
Christmas, and one of the most difficult since we lost my father-in-law
five years ago, but we were thankful to be spending it in our home, even
if we were up to our ears in boxes and work to do. After that, very
little work was done on the house. We went from bare drywall to
temporary CO in three weeks. Wow! And then, we were in, and the urgency
factor dissipated for everyone except us. But I knew this was not the
time to lose steam. And I was right.
On
January 7th, we got word that we finally received written orders for
JP, and the RIPA was applying for her passport! Thankfully, the county
was merciful once again, and gave us permanent CO on January 9th without
even coming inside to inspect. The inside stuff was mostly just punch
list items, important, but not crucial to livability. The outside... Oh
my. We literally waited for weeks for retaining wall excavation,
concrete, block, concrete in the block, railing around the block, and
final seed and straw. The grade on the back side of the house still
isn't raised up to the level it's supposed to be. We definitely had
weather issues. We also had nobody-shows-up-when-they-should issues over
and over again. But, long story short, we got CO. And after a longer
story, finally got the bank underwriters to let us close on our loan
without losing our rate lock. What a mess.
And
then, January 17, I got the email that I'm still in shock over: JP's
passport was issued, and we could start looking at flights to India.
After waiting through a 27 month adoption process, it is still surreal
to believe that we are finally a family of four, and so very close to
being all together. It's hard to believe that was only eight days ago.
And yes, we're still stranded in Newark, but that story will be continued in my next post.
No comments:
Post a Comment